Drummoyne

Fabulous views, easy access to the CBD and excellent shopping, Drummoyne has it all!

Very little survives from the earliest days when John Harris was given a small holding in 1806. He lived in Ultimo and owned land all over Sydney.

In 1853, merchant, sealer and whaler William Wright bought land on the Peninsula which he named Drummoyne after his Scottish family in Clyde. The name means 'flat-topped ridge'. 

By 1880 there were a few farms and fruit orchards producing peaches, figs and oranges. 

In 1882, the first Iron Cove Bridge was built of wrought iron and lattice girders, which later supported a mainline tramway service to Ryde. 

This bridge was replaced in 1955 with the existing steel and concrete structure. There are studies currently underway regarding its future.

Timber cutting, grazing and lime burning continued until 1932 and industrial development utilised the waterfront.

Several Georgian buildings built prior to the 19th century remain, more or less intact, including "Riverview" in Queens Road, "Waratah" in Marlborough St, "Dunaverty" in Wrights Road, and a rare late Victorian cottage in Thompson Street. Few timber cottages remain at all.

The turn of the century saw a confident new 'Australianism' built bungalows and separate Edwardian style houses and around 1920 Californian bungalows the popular model for housing. A high proportion of those built in the next 20 years 1920-1940 have survived and are in very good condition.

Many of the original waterfront farm estates which were broken up more than a century ago for industrial sites, which have now been replaced with units which were built in huge numbers in the 1970's. 

In fact, Drummoyne has a very high proportion of flats in the area (52.6%) compared to its near neighbours. Surrounded by water on 3 sides, it has lovely far reaching views.

The former Dunlop industrial site was converted to the Birkenhead shopping complex and marina, which attracts visitors from all over Sydney. There are churches, other good shopping strips, hotels, and excellent public schools.

Busy Victoria Road distributes traffic on either side to Drummoyne and there are ferry and Rivercat services and RTA buses.