Lewisham

A quiet hub of cultural diversity and community charm.

Lewisham is 8km west of the Sydney CBD. 

Lewisham took its name in 1834 from the estate of Joshua Frey Josephson, a German-born businessman who would later become mayor of Sydney.

The estate was named after the London borough of Lewisham, which means Leofsa’s village or manor.

The original residents of the Lewisham area were the Cadigal clan of the Darug tribe. Artefacts found near the Cooks River indicate at least 7,000 years of habitation in the local area.

Lewisham is a quiet residential suburb that is close to a variety of different shopping options as well as near to transport to the city. In 2014 Lewisham was included in the Sydney Light rail extension making Sydney CBD even more accessible.